It's spring break season and while you may have already created a packing list and found a sitter for the dog, you may not have thought about how you can keep your home safe while you're away.
There are a few simple things you can do to protect your home and belongings while out of town. Use our checklist below to help you stay on track.
1. Don't advertise your travel plans on social media. You're excited about your trip but wait to share with the world until you get back. You never know who may see your post and it could be someone without the best intentions.
2. Use your neighbor as a resource! Ask if they'll occasionally park in your driveway and if they'll move your trashcan away from the street after pick up. It's good to have a trusted friend keep an eye on the house and let you know if anything seems amiss.
3. Contact your local resources such as the post office to hold your mail and the police to do a vacation check while you're away.
4. If you have an alarm system alert the company that you'll be away for an extended period. Don't leave any valuables out in plain sight and double check that all the doors are locked before leaving.
5. Put a timer on your electronics to have your outside lights go on at night (without staying on all day). Some can be controlled by your smartphone or your alarm company.
What tricks do you use to keep your home safe while you're away?