The major systems and appliances in your home have a lifespan. While you may pay less with a used home up front - you could end up paying each year to repair and replace appliances that would have been brand new! Plus the majority of appliances and systems in a new home come with warranty protection!
Here's an idea of how long most systems and appliances last.
- Air Conditioner - Typically lasts 10-15 years and can cost $4500-$5500 to replace.
- Dishwasher - Lasts around 9 years - $400-$600 to replace
- Toilet - Life expectancy of 10 years - $300-$400 to replace
- Refrigerators - One of the most expensive appliances lasts about 15 years - thousands to replace
- Hot Water Heater -Lasts about 10 years costs over $700 to replace
Have the systems and appliances in a used home been maintained properly to ensure maximum life expectancy? Do you have money saved for when these appliances need repair or replacing? These are important questions to consider when deciding on a new or used home.